Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 08:26:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Tomas Klockar <dateck@ludd.luth.se>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, www@FreeBSD.ORG, mpcd@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New "netscaped" FreeBSD web pages at http://www.freebsd.org/~mpcd

According to Terry Lambert:
> > These are the proposed "netscape enhanced" pages for those browsers
> > (and comlinks) capable of dealing with a fancier view of things.  The
> > text mode interface isn't going away, folks, so don't all you lynx
> > people get yourselves into a knot.  This is just another way of
> > looking at the FreeBSD home page for those users who go in for that
> > sort of thing, and it'll either auto-select by browser or be chained
> > off of http://www.freebsd.org through a "netscape enhanced!" button or
> > something.  We haven't worked that out yet.
> >
> > Pages courtesy of Visual Internet Publishing, who will of course get
> > some free advertising out of this deal. :-)
> >
> > Feedback can and should be sent to Duffy Penski <mpcd@freebsd.org>.
>
> These pages have a *much* higher production value than the onces
> which are "Lynx-friendly"!
>
> Does Apache support server-side scripting?  It seems that you could
> do automatic browser capability detection, and generate pages on
> the basis of capability from a common source/database.
>
> At worst, there should be a high/low/no graphics page as the initial
> intercept, if browser capability based redirects can't work (ie: if
> there is no server-side scripting).  These things need to be the
> default for most people connecting to the site!
>
> Good job on the pages!  (what's the text input field with no buttons
> or anything associated with it???).

I think apache were based on NCSA httpd 1.3 and it supports serverside includes
The only problem with apache were that it pretty often started forking up itself
until the machine died.

We are currently running NCSA 1.5 which is also free.

This is of course an sun 4/390 and not on freebsd.

Our deamon sends between 500MB and 1GB each day.
We thought that it were the load that killed it.

But if it's used by you than i can't belive that its the load.

/Tomas

--
Tomas Klockar can be found at the following adresses:

Kårhusvägen 4, 2:43  |  Furuvägen 102       |  dateck@ludd.luth.se
977 54 Luleå         |  871 52 Härnösand    |  dateck@solace.mh.se
Tel: +46-920-229391  |  Tel: +46-611-13393  |  d94-tkl@sm.luth.se