Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2020 18:12:32 -0600
From:      Dan Mason <danmason@danmason.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslogd logging format change from 11.2 to 11.3

Does anyone know why the syslogd logging format was changed in 11.3?
I upgraded a server today and was annoyed by some regex failures but
also the loss of useful information.

In 11.2 you get the remote address and the hostname that was provided
by the logger.

  Feb 14 15:39:34 23.212.155.184 rpi-1 jemrf[569]: A90 67.244 fahrenheit

In 11.3 you get only the remote address.

  Feb 14 15:44:47 23.212.155.184 jemrf[569]: A90 66.956 fahrenheit

The syslogd(8) man page has a new flag available to swap between
address and hostname, but there doesn't appear to be an option to have
both.

     -H      When logging remote messages use hostname from the message (if
             supplied) instead of using address from which the message was
             received.

There was value in having both but I'm not sure about the value of
removing one of them, especially changing the layout by default
instead of adding a new flag for new behavior.

Dan

--
"per aspera ad astra"