Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:04:37 +0200
From:      FreeBSD User <freebsd@walstatt-de.de>
To:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PAM: SSH: reject login when homdir does not exist?

Hello fellows, happy Easter!

I run into a security issue this morning here and tried to look for a solution. We use
OpenLDAP for all "regular users" login on hosts and web services. Authentication is
required from some cloud/moodle services via LDAP, but some users not having any
homedirectory on any machine within the domain will still be allowed to login, even if
the home dir is not present. They get loged in onto the root of the filesystem, when
login via SSH.

Is there a way to prohibit login if homedir isn't present? Can you point me to the right
place (PAM or something, pam_env isn't available on FreeBSD)?

If this is a trivial issue and caused by lack of my personell knowledge, please excuse.

Kind regards,

O. Hartmann