Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 11:32:33 -0400
From:      Oscar Hodgson <oscar.hodgson@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone using freebsd ZFS for large storage servers?

The subject is pretty much the question.  Perhaps there's a better
place to be asking this question ...

We have (very briefly) discussed the possibility of using FreeBSD
pizza boxes as a storage heads direct attached to external JBOD arrays
with ZFS.  In perusing the list, I haven't stumbled across indications
of people actually doing this.  External JBODs would be running 24 to
48TB each, roughly.  There would be a couple of units.  The pizza
boxes would be used for computational tasks, and nominally would have
8 cores and 96G+ RAM.

Obvious questions are hardware compatibility and stability.  I've set
up small FreeBSD 9 machines with ZFS roots and simple mirrors for
other tasks here, and those have been successful so far.

Observations would be appreciated.

Oscar.