Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:37:45 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Cc:        Adam Strohl <adams@digitalspark.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sigset_t changes committed

In message <99Sep30.134732est.40334@border.alcanet.com.au> Peter Jeremy writes:
: We've never required this before.  I managed to convert from 2.2.6 to
: -current using `make upgrade'.  Why should I need to FTP a kernel
: from another machine to go from 3.x to 4.x?

In keeping notes, what would need to happen would be that you'd have
to build config as well as all the tools to build binaries.  Sounds
like a make upgrade proceedure would need to do through the lib-tools
or build-tools targets, build the kernel, install it reboot.

The current Makefile.upgrade would have to be massively gutted and
rewritten since it deals with the aout -> elf transition, but it
shouldn't be too horrible.  This transition is a matter of building a
kernel (which has the egcs problem to deal since 3.3-stable is gcc 2.7
based).  I know there have been a fair number of make improvements,
but I don't know if they are dependencies on them in the build
procedure.

I think that we need to do this upgrade proceedure.  I wish I had more
time than to just sketch out this outline...

Warner