Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:00:35 -0600
From:      jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A cool xterm?

Terry Lambert writes:
> > Rebuilt the color_xterm port linking with Xaw3d instead of Xaw, and the
> > scrollbar's much better.  Like the menus better too.  ...with these resources:
> >
> > I'm wondering what this means.  Is it that people don't like the fact
> > that the scrollbar works the way it does?  Or is it that they don't
> > like the way it looks?  What exactly is wrong with the scrollbar?
>
> It's ugly, it fails the page up/down in the thumb area, it does not
> have a single-step up/down button, and it takes too many buttons
> on your mouse to make it work efficiently.
>
> Other than that, there's no problem with it.

It's just ugly.  (I do like the NeXT scrollbars too).  As for usage, I just
use the following in my XTerm resource file; it's faster than trying to get
the mouse onto the right scrollbar area:

*VT100.translations: #override \
        Ctrl<Key>Prior:         scroll-back(1,halfpage)\n\
        Ctrl<Key>Next:          scroll-forw(1,halfpage)\n\
        Ctrl<Key>Insert:        scroll-back(1,line)\n\
        Ctrl<Key>Delete:        scroll-forw(1,line)
--
Jonathan