Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:31:23 +0200
From:      Joost Bekkers <joost@bps.jodocus.org>
To:        Joseph Wright <JWRIGHT@mbakercorp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Auto Login

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 09:16:52AM -0400, Joseph Wright wrote:
> How do I set FreeBSD 4.6.2 to automatically login as a specific user
> during bootup?

Assuming you want to autologin on one of the virtual terminals:

First edit /etc/gettytab, find the one for 'Pc' and duplicate it
with a unique name and add al=<username>:

For 4.5R you would end up with something like:

  P|Pc|Pc console:\
	  :ht:np:sp#115200:
  Pc-foo:\
	  :ht:np:sp#115200:al=user:

Next edit /etc/ttys and change the line for the terminal you
want to auto-login on from

ttyv0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure

ttyv0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc-foo"	cons25	on  secure

And finally let init(8) know we changed something

kill -HUP 1

But before you start doing this think 2 or 3 times about the
insecurity you're creating with this.

-
greetz Joost
joost@jodocus.org