Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:48:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing problem

Eddie Fry recently said:
> Randal,
>
> Ronald says he has 2 class C's so his mask should be 255.255.255.0.

He says he has two class C's but he's using class A addressing.

Shouldn't the netmask really be 254.0.0.0  ?  That way it will
supernet the 10.1 and the 10.2  into two parallel blocks out of
address.. 10.1 thru 10.2.

I know you can't use the 1 bit mask in the subnetting a c because
it will give a network address and a mask with nothing in between.

Will a 254.0.0.0 set it up so that 10.1.0.0 is the base and
10.2.255.255 is the broadcast.

Or have I TOTALLY screwed up my understanding of how this works?

There are days when a hand-cranked phone would be easier to deal
with.