Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 2016 17:56:48 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable ML <stable@freebsd.org>, trasz@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Auto-mounting USB NTFS formatted devices on FreeBSD 10.2 and HEAD

Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Since the removal of NTFS support, it is unclear how to get USB drives
> formatted as NTFS (or ExFAT) to automatically mount. Prior to FreeBSD 10 it
> was possible to replace /sbin/mount_ntfs with a script that would generate
> appropriate options and exec /usr/local/sbin/ntfs-3g and let HAL fire up
> mount_ntfs, but that no longer works as mount_ntfs is no longer used and
> mount(8) no longer treats '-t ntfs' as special.
>
> It would appear that automount(8) would be the right magic, but it's not
> obvious to me how to configure it to recognize that an NTFS device has been
> connected to a USB port (as opposed to msdosfs) and to use ntfs-3g to do
> the actual mount. I assume that the same issue exists for ExFAT.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what magic is required in the auto_master or
> elsewhere to make this work in conjunction with devd? I'd really like to
> avid using hald, if possible.

I use devd to auto mount USB NTFS, I just it works with 10.2-RELEASE
& an NTFS USB connected drive, here's a chunk from my

http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/src/jhs/etc/devd/berklix.conf

       action  "sleep 10; \
         rm -f /devusb/acer300; \
         ln -s /dev/`echo $device-name|sed -e s/umass/da/`s1 \
                /devusb/acer300.1; \
         ln -s /dev/`echo $device-name|sed -e s/umass/da/`s2 \
                /devusb/acer300.2; \
         ln -s /dev/`echo $device-name|sed -e s/umass/da/`s3 \
                /devusb/acer300.3; \
         mkdir -p /media/acer300.2; mkdir -p /media/acer300.3; \
         chmod 777 /media/acer300.*; \
         chown jhs:staff /media/acer300.*; \
         ntfsfix /devusb/acer300.2 ; \
         ntfs-3g -o ro /devusb/acer300.2 /media/acer300.2;  \
         ntfsfix /devusb/acer300.3 ; \
         ntfs-3g -o ro /devusb/acer300.3 /media/acer300.3" ;

Now I'll read man 8 automount & other people's alternate solutions
on the thread :-)

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey,  BSD Linux Unix Sys. Eng. Consultant Munich http://berklix.eu
 Mail plain text,  No quoted-printable, HTML, base64, MS.doc.