Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:53:53 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?BERTRAND_Jo=c3=abl?= <joel.bertrand@systella.fr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE-p3] Regression with realtek-re-kmod

--wXdY87LP04fgwBb4wYpXVtdV5IiNefuQi

--nzfR0NfEIHJP2d6rAuvBUWpp9BOOhDdM3

	Hello,

	I use a /diskless/ workstation that ran FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE-p0 for a
while without trouble. Motherboard contains two ethernet adapters : re0
and em0. I'm unable to boot with em0 (why ? em0 can obtain an IP address
but PXE doesn't load binaries on tftp server...). Thus, system is
configured to use re0.

	This morning, I have upgraded my packages as I have to upgrade firefox.
Thus, I have launched :
- pkg upgrade
- freebsd-update fetch
- freebsd-update install

	My boot/loader.conf contains:

pythagore:[/boot] > cat loader.conf
coretemp_load=3D"YES"
hw.re.max_rx_mbuf_sz=3D"2048"
#if_re_load=3D"YES"
#if_re_name=3D"/boot/modules/if_re.ko"
cpuctl_load=3D"YES"
cuse_load=3D"YES"
tmpfs_load=3D"YES"
pythagore:[/boot] >

	If I use kernel re driver, system randomly hangs (re0 stops after some
days) but it boots. Now, if I uncomment if_re_load and if_re_name,
kernel loads if_re module, starts its initialization and hangs just
after "starting syslog". System cannot be pinged from another station
(host is down).

	Does someone use realtek-re-kmod with a recent kernel in this
configuration ?

	Best regards,

	JB