Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 2015 21:31:39 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports requires pkg 1.6.0, but 1.5.6 is the latest available

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
wrote:

> I'm trying to build and install security/openssh-portable, but when I do,
> make errors out with:
>
> ===>  openssh-portable-7.1.p1_2,1 pkg(8) must be version 1.6.0 or greater,
> but you have 1.5.6. You must upgrade the ports-mgmt/pkg port first.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/ports/security/openssh-portable
>
> I'm using an svn checkout of https://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head.  I also
> cleaned my package cache and forced an update of the local catalogues, but
> pkg tells me the latest version of pkg available, at least for amd64
> 10.2p3, is 1.5.6.
>
> I rolled back my local ports tree to r397904 (r397905 was the
> MINIMAL_PKG_VERSION bump) and it works fine.
>
> I'm guessing from other posts on this list that pkg 1.6.0 out, but it
> doesn't seem to be in the public pkg repo.  I didn't see anything in
> UPDATING about it.
>
> What am I missing?

I believe that 10.2p3 only updated to the latest quarterly package build.
If you want something more recent, you will need to edit the config file
(/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf) to use "latest" repo. I believe that url: "pkg+
http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" should do the trick.

More of concern is why svn is not working. What does "svn info /usr/ports"
show? "svn status /usr/ports"? I and assure you that pkg-1.6.1 IS in svn. I
have it and built and installed it earlier today. You can confirm what is
in the repo by checking out the web interface:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/ports-mgmt/pkg/.

E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com