Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 02:19:36 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        cpl92@fx.ro
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sever ide hdd crash (also re:Another instance of the crash I was seeing)

> computer I received the BIOS message PRIMARY HDD FAILURE. Since then, my
> BIOS says that I don't have a HDD inside (actually I have a Quantum
> Fireball UDMA 4.3 Gb). I hope that the vendor will change the damaged
> hdd, but I am quite sure that this is a very serious problem in FreeBSD
> kernel.

I very seriously doubt it.  There are a lot of interesting things that
kernel bugs can do to your data but, unless they exercise it heavily
and surreptitiously in the night, there's not much they can do to
cause the early retirement of your hard disk.  What you have there
sounds like a plain, old-fashioned, simple, hard disk failure.  Not
space aliens, not the ghost of Elvis trying to communicate with the
living through your hard drive, but what the spanish call "el seagate
muerte"  Your drive is dead, Jim.

- Jordan