Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 02:39:55 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Diamond FirePort 40

Has anyone tried the Diamond FirePort 40 or FirePort 40 Dual
SCSI controllers yet? How are they?

It appears to just be a NCR 53c875 controller, but their benchmarks
are putting it ahead of the Adaptec 2940/3940UW. I'm not sure
how good the 875 is versus the 810, but I know from my own testing
that the 2940U kicks the NCR 810 around the block...

On my home system, I was getting about 4MB/s read and write out of
a Quantum Fireball UltraSCSI drive with the 53c810. When I
plugged the same drive into an old 2940U my throughput jumped
to 5.5 MB/s on writes, and 6.1MB/s on read.. I used iozone
with a gigantic file (with 512 and 8192 bytes blocks - same
effect).

I'm in the marketplace for a new SCSI controller for a server
system I'm building, and I'd love to go with the 875 based
Diamond FirePort - the price is right. I guess I'm wondering
why the 810 performs so crappily under FreeBSD, and if I can
expect the same crappy performance from the 875 under FreeBSD?

Is the ahc driver really that much better??

TIA,
-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU