Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:00:55 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading and Use of this list (gentle reminder)

At 03:21 AM 7/23/98 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:

>Many of you might not realise that "upgrading" FreeBSD is not at all
>like "upgrading" Windows, for example.

Actually, in many ways, it is.

>If you don't follow the correct
>advice and proceed with great care YOU CAN EASILY KILL YOUR SYSTEM.

Same with upgrading Windows.  Maybe not kill your system, but just
upgrading on top of an old installation is usually a bad idea with Windows,
MS recommendation or no MS recommendation.  It usually results in a slow,
buggy and messed up system.  The best way to "upgrade" is almost always to
"backup, wipe and reinstall from scratch."

>There is a lot more to it than just selecting "upgrade"!! It's not hard
>if you know exactly what to do and do it carefully, but any upgrade is
>risky and what you have to do for FreeBSD might surprise you.

This goes for any OS.  Thanks for the warnings though (I'm not denying that
they're all true).

>FreeBSD-Questions is *the* place for advice and information on
>upgrading and installing new versions.

OK, so can we "discuss" the new version here though?

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.