Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:43:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Allen Landsidel wrote:

> At 08:04 PM 12/26/2001 +0100, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> > > Tom's reply stated that if you turned auto-negotiation off by forcing a
> > > speed/duplex setting on either end that it would cause problems.  This
> > > simply isn't true because you can't turn auto-negotating off, and
> > forcing a
> > > speed/duplex setting doesn't do this.. what it does do is forces the other
> > > end to negotiate this setting, if it is available.  The negotiation still
> > > occurs.
> >
> >It's certainly possible that we're using the wrong terminology. The
> >observation still stands (supported by *lots* of examples in practice):
> >If you manually set duplex at one end, and leave it unconfigured (ie.
> >auto-negotiation) at the other end, you will often get a duplex mismatch.
> >
> >Please don't try to claim that this doesn't happen. It does - even with
> >new equipment from well known manufacturers.
>
> I'll claim I've never seen it so long as I was using auto-negotiating
> devices.. nics from linksys, 3com, intel and others.. switches and hubs
> from the same three.
>
> You (and Tom) have still both failed to address the question posed : What
> about "dumb" devices such as unmanaged switches.  My 16port
> auto-negotiating 10/100 switch has no way *at all* of setting the duplex
> *or* speed of the ports.. are you stating that such devices (and there are
> tons of them) won't work if you force the NIC to a certain speed/duplex
> setting?

  Exactly.  If you disable auto-negotation on one end, auto-negotation
won't work.  If one end only supports auto-negotation, you should use
auto-negotation on both ends.  If one end can't support auto-negotation,
the auto-negotation side will auto-detect the speed and use half-duplex,
which is the default for devices incapable of auto-negotiation.  You can't
use full-duplex at all if one end only supports auto-negotation and the
other end does not (or auto-negotiate is disabled).

  Also, by setting a manual setting, you disable autonegotation.  I know
that you dispute this, but if check the ifconfig manpage, the source, and
the ethernet standards, you will see that auto-negotiation and manual
settings are mutually exclusive.  The same thing goes for switches.  If
you you have a managed switch, and you set a manual setting
auto-negotation is disabled.

  So back to my original point:  it is not a good idea to just enable
auto-negotation on one end of the link.

  I would recommend people use auto everwhere.  Even the cheap devices
support it properly now. Auto-negotiation is going to become more critical
as more options are added to the ethernet standard (ie.  master/slave,
flow control).

Tom