Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:24:40 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Keyboard doesn't work anymore [repost, no answers on -questions]

>suddenly, the console keyboard does no longer work. kdm is displayed,
>but no keypress works (except num lock and scroll lock, which light the
>appropriate LEDs).

This means your hardware (keyboard and keyboard controller) and
FreeBSD kernel (keyboard drivver) are working ok.

When in X, the keyboard driver passes all keystrokes, untouched and
unmodified, to the X server, and the X server does all necessary
processing to generate key input to X clients.  So long as various
lock keys and LEDs work correctly, we can say that the keyboard, the
keyboard driver and the X server are exchanging data all right.

It seems to me, somewhat the X server, or one of X clients, is
eating up key strokes and not passing key input to where it should go.

Oh, there is another possibility.  How do you start the X server and kdm?
There is a chance that the X server and getty are both trying to read
from the keyboard. Read discussion on xdm in FreeBSD FAQ.  There is
a race condition to obtain access to the keyboard, and the X server
and getty may be running in the same vty somewhat.

Kazu