Date:      01 Apr 2002 11:49:15 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Boot Manager

"Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za> writes:

> Now, whatever I select (F1 or F5), it the proceeds to boot FreeBSD off
> the new disk.

I'm just guessing here, as I've never seen that problem or used a BIOS
with that feature, but I suspect that it has somehow confused the
FreeBSD installer so that it has the same disk number for both F1 and
F5 (obviously, I suppose).  You can probably fix it by getting the
FreeBSD running and using "boot0cfg" which allows you to set the
disk IDs explicitly.  I never know exactly what values to use, and
you'll be even more in the dark with that BIOS feature, but you
could try the numbers suggested by the "boot0cfg" manual and then
try them swapped.  If you first try doesn't work, you BIOS feature
will probably save you, or you can boot using the normal install
floppies.  (Learn the commands for booting first.)