Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:11:07 +0200
From:      "Artyom V. Viklenko" <artem@mipk-kspu.kharkov.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any mirroring product or backup product ?

Feng Li wrote:

> Hello, Friends
>

> I have some FreeBSD machines, I need to improve their reliability.
> Is there any Hard disk Mirroring feature(such as RAID 1, RAID 0+1,etc)
> in FreeBSD system ? Or I can add this kind of feature on FreeBSD
> system ?

We have central backup server in our network. There is four WD 120GB
drives in it. With help of ccd I setted up four mirrored sets
55+ GB each and make 4 filesystems. These drives ATA-100 and I use
InnoVision CMD-based controller. (it have internal RAID 0,1 features,
but they not work under FreeBSD)

OS itself installed on separate HDD.

All other servers - 3 FreeBSD and 3 Linux - are backed up to this
central storage using dump utility (via rmt) each night. I configured
them to do cummulative backups with weekly cycle.

Additionally, 3 FreeBSD-based routers backed up with dump to this
central server by hand when something changed in their config.

Next planned step - to install DDS4 drive to backup server in order
to backup The Backup :) using incremental scheme.

Most servers interconnected by 100BASE-TX switches and FreeBSD-based
routers. Transfer rates varies from 5,5 to 10 MBytes/sec. Even in case
of passing FreeBSD-based routers.

Works fine for me.

> Or is there any backup product which can backup FreeBSD system and
> the data ?
>

> Thanks a lot in advance !!!
>
> Feng

        Sincerely yours,