Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:50:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        "James E. Pace" <jepace@pobox.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scaling Apache?

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> > I imagine that these faster servers would use the hardware in a way that
> > keeps request overhead lower (logging and caching tricks) but the
> > trade-offs in server-side scripting support could kill that.
>
> That is true, one should be investigating fast-cgi or some equivelant
> to deal with that.

Well, Zeus supports ISAPI, JDBC, etc, and the other options you pointed
out have apparently designed themselves with migration from apache in mind
(which doesn't inspire confidence), so it looks like it should be possible
to use a reasonable server-side scripting tool that supports ISAPI, or
back-end Java, to make dynamic content scream on these servers.

Thanks for the tip Alfred (and others), and thanks for bringing it up
James. I was completely in the dark until James asked.

--Steve