Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 11:05:22 -0700
From:      inTEXT Communications <glenn@intextonline.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Freebsd PPP -dialin

I hope this doesnt appear to be a vague type of question.

For 1.5 weeks I have been trying to get ppp to answer in server mode and
it seems nothing I do is working.

Im running 2.2.6

This is as far as I can get;
I have configured ttys for /dev/ttyd1 libexec/getty

I now have the system answering as an incomming modem in terminal mode.

I have tried everythng it says to do..word for word in the manual..along
with 5 other people..all working on one machine.  Not one of us have
less then 3 years  Linux  experience.

We have tried compiling mgetty in PPP-Auto mode....tried configuring the
scripts that run in /etc/ppp,
and the end product is......the system does not answer...at
all...period..

It looks like an mgetty problem.....

We have created new shells in /etc/paaswd..and still nothing

Well....all in all what Im looking for now is someone to help provide us
with the EXCACT files we need to make this all come together.

Here is what our plan is.

We have a LAN.

We want to be able to dial into this lan using a normal windows95 dialup
networking call...
After we have the lan working...we will then hook into our T3 connection
and start providing dialup service using freebsd though our multi-port
system.

Now....I myself dont really understand the diff between CHAP or PAP or
if we even need CHAP or PAP...but what ever it takes to enable a win 95
box to dial into the network is what Im looking for.

We have tried all the pap and chap stuff and nothing works.  BTW..what
is CHAP or PAP..I cant find any definitions on it...It seems everyone
but me knows what it is or how to work it.

Sorry for carrying on like..this

Now if you could.... I would ask your kind help in supplying to me the
names of the files I will require to do the job please.

name /path #1 ___________________
name/path #2____________________

Etc;

Or better yet...helping to configure them..or copying them from you
machine...actual working files would be great..and mailing them to me as
attactments...

Also tell me what files I WILL NOT need so I can get them off my system

I have had very little luck successfully compiling mgetty..so perhaps
you could assist me with a compiled binary..It sure would be
appreciated. I get an error 1 about 5 minits into the compilation.

I own an ISP in Vancouver Canada..and becuse of many years of
frustration with LINUX...we are now switching to freebsd.  <And I still
dont know what chap or pap is... :-)>

Please try to keep this as simple as you can....Im about to become a
good customer and  good advertising for freebsd....

Thanks in advance..I sure hope you can help..

Please Please dont tell me to read the manual..Im sick of people telling
me that