Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 22:32:22 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        murray@FreeBSD.ORG, qa@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RC1 and X4.2

On Mon, 20 May 2002 02:20:35 +0100
Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you've got moused enabled, you *must* specify a MouseSystems mouse
> as well as using /etc/sysmouse.  See sysmouse(4).

Absolutely.  I got caught in a PS/2 paradigm when selecting the protocol from
the xf86config menu:

 1.  Microsoft compatible (2-button protocol)
 2.  Mouse Systems (3-button protocol)
 3.  Bus Mouse
 4.  PS/2 Mouse
 5.  Logitech Mouse (serial, old type, Logitech protocol)
 6.  Logitech MouseMan (Microsoft compatible)
 7.  MM Series
 8.  MM HitTablet
 9.  Microsoft IntelliMouse

I saw the "PS/2" and went for that when "Mouse Systems" should have been chosen.
This eliminated any need for hand-editing the generated XF86Config file.

However, I tried the same configuration during another test install of 4.6-RC2
and sysinstall gave me the:

	The XFree86 configuration process seems to have
	failed. Would you like to try again.

I answered no and completed the installation.  The "failed" configuration file that was generated worked fine.

So far, in all the test installations of 4.6, I've not had any of the X
configuration methods to successfully complete during installation.  Nothing
fancy in hardware (Matrox G200 8MB card).  Perhaps its just me, but i'm curious
if anyone has tried a fresh install and gotten X to configure nicely during
sysinstall?

Thanks for the clue on the PS/2 business !

Randy