Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:08:16 +0500
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
To:        <christopherp@ceconet.com>, <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: A Newbie Question

Possible options to explore, in addition to what you've suggested,
which, btw are good ideas. I've put the software suggested to do each
in brackets. Note that these are just recommendations, and you should
feel free to explore other options.

O DNS Cache (BIND, built-in)
O HTTP Proxy/Cache (Squid)
O NFS (built-in), or similar for remote mounting home directories so
that your users can move between different PC's and have their files
follow them automagically.
O Intrusion detection system (Snort). Possible on it's own
ultra-secure host, if you are willing to invest the time and effort.
O An X Client (XFree86)
	- Can be a right pain in the butt to setup sometimes, or you might
get lucky. I've had mixed experiences.
	- Note the the client/server meanings are swapped around for X,
meaning the Big machine in the rack is the client, and what's on your
desktop is a server. Read up about it on the xfree86 website and the
freebsd handbook.
O A webserver (apache) with CGI's to use for collaboration (Shared
calendars etc)

There's a whole world of stuff just waiting to be done. My advice to
you, if you get stuck, read the docco, google the web, and try, try
again, and if all else fails, ask someone :)

Welcome aboard.