Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 13:41:08 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
To:        pechter@lakewood.com
Cc:        phk@dk.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp), freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

Well, all of that I knew, but you clearly have never tried to install
that one particular file :-)

Somehow it entices the AIX install stuff to install anything it has
everheard about, and then (12 hours later) it will tell you that
it cannot continue because it is still missing the following pieces
(insert long list here of bits already installed).

The problem with "micro-compartementalism" is that people are far
more likely to hit "all" instead of spending a couple of ours to
go through the check list.

The fact that more than 75% of the AIX systems I've been logged into
here in Denmark has japanese and korean message catalogs installed
underlines this problem.

Poul-Henning

In message <199708031127.HAA01868@i4got.lakewood.com>, Bill Pechter writes:
>> And for an encore, find somebody who knows how to install "nvix.bms.U345621"
>> on an AIX 3.2.5.1 system, and have them explain how >that< works.
>>
>> --
>> Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team.
>
>If you really want to know how this works -- I used to roll up packages
>for distribution with NetView at IBM.
>
>They are just a backup (by inode) file with six (I think) additional files --
>an install script, a deinstall script, a preinstall script and a postinstall
>script and a postdeinstall script and a list of dependencies and a fileset
>listing.
>
>Among the things the installp program does is unpack the backup set,
>check the dependancies, run the preinstall script, run the install script.
>To deinstall there's a deinstall script and a postdeinstall script
>
>What do you need to know about the nvix.bms.U345621 -- it's a patch (PTF)
>to the nvix.bms fileset.  The ptf's are similar in structure to the
>installp filesets.
>
>Bill

> Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 908-389-3592
> pechter@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
> This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.