Date:      Tue, 07 May 1996 04:49:54 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS update: sys/i386/i386

>>  - the APIC is no longer mapped Virtual == Physical, because this
required
>>    tweaking of the PTD's and other nightmares.  It now is dereferenced
>>    via a pointer (unsigned int *apic_base;)
>should be (unsigned int *lapic_base) ?

That's the least of our worries at the moment.. ;-) ;-)

>>  - the APIC register defines redone to cope with this.  Now are offsets
>>    instead of absolute addresses.  This means that the boot code needs
>>    manually compensate when it's making a physical reference before
paging
>>    is set up.  It also means that _get_mplock cannot be used before
paging
>>    is enabled.
>get_mplock isn't called until after paging is enabled, no worries.

I was pretty sure this was the case, I didn't see any escapes from
locore.s beforehand, and I'm not aware of any cases where paging is
disabled after booting.. :-)

>>  - pmap.c sets up the apic mapping in rather than locore.  A lot of the
othe
>>    apic initialisation could be done in C too rather than
mpcore.s/locore.s
>yes, yes, YES!

Also:
  One stack/PTD/PCB/UPAGES can be created later in the boot after the
memory allocator is running so that one idle pcb (for the recursive mplock
nesting count) and stack is available per 'n' cpus, rather than forking an
entire process and keeping them running outside of the idle loop.

Hmm, machdep.c can call something to parse the MP config block to see how
many cpus it can expect to find.  No wait..  We have an option for this,
NCPU.. :-)

I'm tired.. It's 5AM again.. :-(

>--
>Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team.
>http://www.freebsd.org/~phk | phk@login.dknet.dk    Private mailbox.
>whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial
Systems, Inc
>.
>Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.

Cheers,
-Peter