Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 2004 10:14:29 -0800
From:      Jason Williams <jwilliams@courtesymortgage.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail questions

Morning everyone.

I have a few questions in general about Sendmail and a few in regards to
sendmail on FreeBSD.
(NOTE: I do use postfix for a lot of my mail servers, but for one
particular instance, I need to use Sendmail.)

My first question is about resources for learning Sendmail. I currently
have the "Bat book" and have been using it to work my around sendmail, but
the learning curve is pretty steep and im looking for other resources as
well. Does anyone recommend any web sites other books that can help start
the learning process for sendmail? I can be quite trivial at times. :)

Second question is in regards to Sendmail on FreeBSD. I'm currently running
FreeBSD 4.9 and the version that comes shipped with 4.9 is 8.12.9p I believe.

I want to know what is the best way to go about upgrading sendmail on
FreeBSD boxes? Is it better to build sendmail out of the ports tree?
Or, is it better to d/l the source and compile it manually.

Is there a difference? Is one better than the other?

I appreciate the help.

Jason