Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 13:35:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Audible ping response changes to ping.c

> Ok, so it's a nice idea to build functionality from small bits, but
> this is ridiculous! :-) We're talking excanging about three lines of
> C code with a big script. This is just a way too small change not to
> be well jusified to go into ping as an option. The latest patch for ping
> seemed just fine, although I'd think '-b' would be more logical.
> You think "Hmm... now, what option was it that ping beep? Hmm..." and try
> "-b". You don't think "What made ping audiable?". :-P

Except that most people wouldn't ever use the option, and some of us
are posting these scripts and things because we don't think this one
adulteration of 'ping' is generally useful in a general purpose OS.

If the point were to get beeps when you are ducked down behind a machine
half a lab away futzing with calble, or sitting in front of the same
machine futzing with network settings, etc., then Peter's "sed" script
is better, since all you want is beeps, not the value of the RTT.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---