Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:59:23 -0700
From:      Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@mittelstaedt.us>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox missing from pkg FTP

On 3/13/2012 11:20 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> Hey all. Just noting that VirtualBox has gone
> missing from the stable dirs other than
> packages-9-stable. There are still some various
> VBox components and versions present in the
> various -stable and -release FTP dirs. But in
> general, it seems something broke?
>
> Besides being outdated itself (3.2.12 vs. 4.1.10, or
> even 4.0.16 or 3.2.14)...
> I'm hesitant to use say the 8.2-release (3.2.12) since
> all my pkgs are 8-stable, and looking its release
> pkgdeps, it looks like it might bring in a lot of older
> packages from back then (libs and things)?

What I have learned with FreeBSD is when building a new
server based on RELEASE, to build it, then do a cvsup
on the ports directory, then build all ports.  From that
point on don't add more ports until your ready to do
a make world and update everything.  (and many times I
just build a new server on new hardware when I hit that point)

If you try to use the ports directories from the RELEASE iso's
without doing a cvsup on the ports directories you will run into much grief.

Ted