Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:06:25 +0100
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Trying to boot a supermicro H8DMT board

On 14-1-2022 11:44, Gary Palmer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 11:27:06AM +0100, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was given these SMC h8DMT boards to experiment with.
>> (For liquid cooling)
>>
>> Theze are server board that normally go into twin board systems.
>> 2 Opteron 2380 per board.
>>
>> It sort of boots, and gets to:
>> ?????? Beasty loader
>> ?????? then booting the kernel after the spinner
>> ???? prints the first few lines of boot output, like what compilers is used
>> ???? and then output stops.
>>
>> I guess that it thinks it needs to write the rest to either serial console
>> or something else.
>>
>> Does this sound familiar to anybody?
>> What do I need to toggle to keep writing where it started?
> What version of FreeBSD are you using?
I tried both 12.2 and 13.0 (both RELEASE)
with similar effects.
> You can try going to the command prompt from the Beastie menu and
> putting in
>
> console="comconsole"
> comconsole_speed="115200"
>
> (replace the speed on 2nd line as appropriate to match the speed the board
>   used prior to the kernel loading)

'mmm I would expect output then to go into the serial port, which is not
connected.
(I'd have to see if there is flatcable thingy somewhere here.)
But I'll give it a try anyways.

> and seeing if that helps.
Note that the board has a VGA output that I'm using.
It also has an IPMI board, but that does not connect to the network
whatever I try.
So I've taken that out, but still the output went into thin air.

Thanx,
--WjW