Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 18:52:32 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        dufault@hda.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Multiport serial cards

>I'm interested in a board that will let me receive continuous data at
>28.8 on four ports without any problems.  At roughly 300 us per
>character that will mean we have to service each port every 4.8 ms with
>a 16550, or roughly 1.2 ms per port.  (Of course lots of times when
>you're in the interrupt you'll be able to to serve more than one port)

This is a small load for sio.  The overhead using an AST/4 on a DX2/66
should be about 6% for input-only and 4% for output-only plus whatever
you protocol handler adds.

>I think I should use a board with a large FIFO, which I don't think
>any of these have.

A 1-char "FIFO" as found on 8250's should be adequate provided you have
no bus-hogging devices.  sio can handle continuous data in both directions
at once at 115.2 on 2 ports (but not 3) on a 486DX/33 with 8250's.  The
system load for this is about 60% (too high for continuous use).  A
486DX2/66 with 16550's can probably handle about 6 times as many ports.

Bruce