Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:22:14 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Ben Schumacher <ben@henshaw.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netgraph based MAC authentication (core dump information)

Ben Schumacher wrote:

> Julian-
>
> The patch worked.  Everything seems to be working fine now.  The patched
> seem to fix both the DHCP issue (the kernel panics) and the ARP issue.

Ok I committed it.

> One quick question though, if I do decide to go the node route, can you
> suggest any reference on mbuf packets?  I don't care if its a book or
> website or man page, etc.  I just haven't been able to find much, except
> the information I gleaned from reading through mbuf.h.  I just figure there
> must be something else out there.  So far my daemon is working the way its
> suppose to, but CPU usage gets pretty high (3% or more) when I'm testing
> with just one client box, so I'm worried about what may happen if I connect
> 100 or more.

you should also read uipc_mbuf.c
I don't know any docs. Possibly the daemon book
might have a few words on the topic (see the FreeBSD bibliography)
(Design and Implementation of the BSD4.4 OS)
possibly the stevens books (tcp/ip Illustrated, Vol 1,2)
may say something too..

I just read the files.
I think mbufs are really pretty simple..
they are linked together to hold as much data as a packet needs,
and they have a second link to allow packets to be linked together in a
queue.
they can have the data stored internally, or in
a separate external storage type. The mbuf system has a default external
storage type (called clusters) but you can define your own
as well by supplying the methods for freeing (etc) to the mbuf
you are attaching it to. The first mbuf in a packet uses
a different layout (it's a union of several different layouts)
as do mbufs with external storage.

Julian

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer