Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 14:18:33 +0800 (SGT)
From:      chas <panda@peace.com.my>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   why must POP clients have a resolvable IP ? what about dynamic IPs ?

I'm sure we've all seen this error message before :

>> popper[14612]: (v2.2) Unable to get canonical name of client, err = 0

And checking the archives again, the explanation is :

[snip]
"This means it can't get the domain name of the IP that is using popper.
Try doing a nslookup on the IP, if it fails that is the reason."
"You need to put the IP address of your client in the named or hosts."
[/snip]

But the people who are collecting their mail via POP from our mailserver
are accessing the web through the local ISP (which is not us.) and hence
they have dynamic IPs. Is there any way to solve this in such circumstances ?

Thank you very much,

chas