Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 23:34:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        count@key.hole.fi
Subject:   Re: Pioneer CD changer problem

As Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >  The current way of timeout
> >handling sucks rocks, all timeouts are wild guesses, and there's no
> >way to centrally maintain them.  Each and every call to
> >scsi_scsi_cmd() specifies its own idea of what timeout might be
> >appropriate.
>
> Do you have any ideas on handling this better?

Alas not.  Otherwise, i would certainly have started a discussion
about this here.

>  Has anyone researched if
> there is any kind of status information we can retrieve so we can
> dynamically adjust timeout length?

I think we first need a bomb-proof way to recover from bus device
resets and bus resets.  (Right now, i think they almost always end up
in a catastrophic breakdown of the affected bus.)  Then, the adapter
drivers could try to reset the device or bus after a timeout, and
could notify the caller of the timeout.  The type driver might decide
to bump its own idea of a useful timeout, or decide to warn the user
of the particular slow device.

sysctl might be a good way to adjust some `base timeout' values.

Just tossing ideas around...

--
cheers, J"org