Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:55:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Meszaros Dezso <dezo@park1.fph.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Big question about Linux versus FreeBSD

Before I even get close to this, I ghighly suggest scanning the questions
and hackers list archives at http://www.freebsd.org under "search" for
certainly don't speak for FreeBSD in any way.

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, Meszaros Dezso wrote:

>  I'm new in the Unix arena, and likely it will not change
> untill I will not know why the core Linux developers/developer/
> not work together with FreeBSD core developers on
> the SAME free operating system ??????????

1.  History.  They were always separate efforts.
2.  System types.  FreeBSD is a port/derivative of the BSD system
distributions, Linux is a more sysV-oriented, independent effor.
3.  Development environment.  Linux's k ernel is controlled by one person,
and the rest of the ssytem is virtualy up for grabs.  FreeBSD is more
tightly controlled in terms of distribution.

For the most part, it's philosophy.  Somewhat same with the *BSD stuff,
but the mail archives will reveal the whole story behind those divisions.

Hope this helps.  Again, I don't speak for FreeBSD in any way, nor do I
wish to start any flamewars.  Please ropute such responses to dev/null,
thanks.