Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:08:53 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        vallo@matti.ee
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cd-paranoia

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 10:07:29 +0200, Vallo Kallaste wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 12:53:49PM -0700, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org> wrote:
>
> > In the mean time, there are plenty of fully functional CD rippers that work
> > just fine with most SCSI CDROM drives.
>
> I'd like to know others apart cdda2wav. Tosha is out of business for
> about half a year now, for me obviously. I've mailed to author some
> months ago, but got answer that it works under 4.2-stable. Tosha did
> work for me very well. Cdda2wav speed is about 2x, tosha did 10x.
> Here's my hardware and I'm running -current as of Feb 1.

So what sort of problem are you having with tosha?

I had a core dump problem back in December, and I fixed it with the
attached patch.  Here's a snippet of the mail I sent to Oliver Fromme:

===============
The problem is in resolve_extension().  strncpy() will only null-terminate
the destination string if it has enough room, according to the given length.

In this implementation, there will never be enough room to null-terminate
the string, from what I can tell.  So if the memory in 'tmpstr' contains
non-nulls, you'll get a core-dump in the subsequent strcat().
===============

Didn't they change the default malloc options in -current a while back?
Perhaps that could be cause of the different behavior between -current and
-stable.

FWIW, tosha and cdda2wav are the only rippers that I know about.  It's
kinda odd that cdda2wav is running slow.  Are you using jitter correction
with cdda2wav?  That will cause it to run slower, although with some
drives it may be necessary.  Yours is new enough that you probably don't
need it.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

*** tosha.c.orig	Fri Jan  1 16:57:49 1999
--- tosha.c	Sun Dec 10 01:04:54 2000
***************
*** 240,247 ****
  		return template;
  	if (!(tmpstr = malloc(strlen(template) + strlen(formatspec->ext) - 1)))
  		out_of_memory();
! 	if ((prefix = cptr - template))
  		strncpy (tmpstr, template, prefix);
  	strcat (tmpstr + prefix, formatspec->ext);
  	prefix += strlen(formatspec->ext);
  	strcat (tmpstr + prefix, cptr + 2);
--- 240,249 ----
  		return template;
  	if (!(tmpstr = malloc(strlen(template) + strlen(formatspec->ext) - 1)))
  		out_of_memory();
! 	if ((prefix = cptr - template)) {
  		strncpy (tmpstr, template, prefix);
+ 		tmpstr[prefix] = '\0';
+ 	}
  	strcat (tmpstr + prefix, formatspec->ext);
  	prefix += strlen(formatspec->ext);
  	strcat (tmpstr + prefix, cptr + 2);

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh--