Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 21:47:28 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Marc Veldman <lurkie@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Clem.Dye@wdr.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & ISDN (UK)

> On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 Clem.Dye@wdr.com wrote:
>
> > My original gameplan was to use an ISDN router on my network, but
> > having tried a Netgear RH348 router, which turned-out to be duff, I
> > decided that as (a) routers are generally expensive and (b) FreeBSD
> > has the goodies built-in, as I understand things, then using the o/s
> > is probably a better and a cheaper way to go (learning curve aside!).
> >
> > As I see things I have two options:
> >
> > 1) Use an internal PCI 128K-capable ISDN card. If so, what type? The
> > FreeBSD website doesn't offer any advice (at least, that I could
> > find) for supported cards for EURO-ISDN.
>
> As far as I know, the isdn driver for BSD is not 128K capable yet,
> so if you absolutely need 128Kb/s you would have to go with an
> external TA. There is some documentation in /usr/src/i4b
> about the cards.
> I don't have any experience with the external TA's so I cannot help
> you there.

I now have user-ppp running over a bonded ISDN2E link to Pavilion
Internet.  I hope to be committing things some time in the next week,
as soon as Hellmuth commits the minimal changes required to the i4b
stuff.

Check out LINT for the most up-to-date list of i4b supported ISDN
cards.

User-ppp is doing the bonding, which IMHO is the correct place to do
it.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>