Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:27:35 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, dchapes@borderware.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vnode_free_list corruption [patch]

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :On Fri, Apr 14, 2000, Dave Chapeskie wrote:
> :> Greetings.
> :>
> :> I've been seeing a rash of "free vnode isn't" panics lately.  Some
> :> machines were panicing several times a day.  Along with this we saw
> :> occasional "object inconsistent state: RPC: %d, RC: %d" messages.
> :
> :
> :Throw it into a PR, and I'll assign it to myself and take a squizz..
> :
> :
> :Adrian
>
>     I'll take a look at it too.  Either way we'll get something committed.
>     Beware, though, even though there is obviously a bug (Dave obviously
>     found the bug!), the vgone/vdone/VDEAD interaction is extremely complex
>     so we have to be careful not to break other things while fixing this
>     one.

Ok, my take on the code is this:

* with the trace given, the vnode shouldn't even be marked VDOOMED, as its
  meant to be in use,
* a vnode shouldn't ever reach vbusy when marked VDOOMED, as it should be
  ref/held and so shouldn't ever be considered to be cleaned,
* I think a KASSERT should be added in vbusy()

On my machine (400Mhz Celeron, 64mb RAM, single 4.2gig IDE disk) running
current from a day ago, I can't reproduce the bug. Are you running with
multiple spindles/softupdates ?

I'll look at the code some more over the next couple of days. Any opinions ?

Adrian