Date:      02 Nov 1999 09:26:50 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, nschein@prisa.FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving passwd file to another system

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

> "Nathaniel Schein" <nschein@prisa.com> writes:
>
> > I have moved the master.passwd file from a FreeBSD 2.1.0 system to a
> > FreeBSD 3.3 system and all seems to work fine.  Users can login with
> > no problem, but in closer inspection I notice that accounts manually
> > moved but which have the same passwd and the root user's passwd(which
> > has not changed) hash are different on each system.  Does anyone know
> > the reason for this? If the one way crypt has changed how can the old
> > master.passwd file satisfactorily be pasted into the new one?
>
> It's probably because some of the passwords use MD5 and others use DES.
> Both types of passwords can be used in the same master.passwd, as far as
> I know, without any problem.

Maybe, but more likely it's just because there's a salt in the
encryption (see the man page for crypt(3)).  If two accounts have
the same password, they may well (will probably, in fact) have
completely different encrypted password entries in the passwd file.
This makes brute-force attacks harder.

Be well.
        Lowell