Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 16:48:54 -0500
From:      Erik Greenwald <erik@smluc.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/40091: print/gnomeprint needs graphics/gdk-pixbuf but doesn't list it as a dependancy

> Synopsis: print/gnomeprint needs graphics/gdk-pixbuf but doesn't list it
> as a dependancy
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> State-Changed-By: marcus
> State-Changed-When: Mon Jul 1 12:47:03 PDT 2002
> State-Changed-Why:
> gdk-pixbuf is a dependency of gnomeprint via the USE_GNOME knob.  Do a
> make package-depends from within the gnomeprint directory, and you will
> see gdk-pixbuf as a dependency.

um, ok, oops, also sent a couple more like that... my bad

It sits wrong with me to have it require that define. I was building the
parts of gnome I knew I wanted, and was getting these weird and easily
avoidable errors... if people with less patience try it, they may just
decide that fbsd sucks and is broken instead of trying to track it back
to the error. The ports I mention should at least try to set USE_GNOME
if it's required, I think that no matter where the user tries to build,
it should never give a blind error like that...

package-depends... cool, wish I would've known about this earlier :)
package-depends-list looks even more useful, but they're both
undocumented... should I write description lines in the Mk/bsd.port.mk
file just to list them? how many other 'hidden' targets are there? :)
maybe I'll have to read that whole file instead of just the comment docs

--
        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~erik]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all probability,
they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore may result in
severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep Refrigerated.