Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 12:14:55 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        nm <nm@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more disk trouble

> So I just dropped in a new 18GB uw scsi disk.
> Here is what comes up in the boot messages:
>
> da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
> da1: <COMPAQ MAA3182SP 0814> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da1: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 8, 16bit), Tagged Queueing
> Enabled
> da1: 17366MB (35566000 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 2213C)
>
> But when I try to disklabel it, this is what I get :(
>
> bash-2.03# disklabel /dev/rda1c
> disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
>
> If I type disklabel /dev/rda1 I can view it but not
> save any changes.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You don't apply disklabel to a partition, you apply it to a device or
slice.  Use the canonical name to avoid embarrassment, eg:

disklabel -e da1

In your case, there is already a label on the disk, and disklabel is very
protective of existing labels (for good reason).  You need to cheat and
zero it out first:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 count=16