Date:      Mon, 09 Sep 2002 22:50:39 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        Vinod <geekvinod@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ad-Hoc Vs Host-Ap

On 09-Sep-2002 Vinod wrote:
> Hi i needed some help figuring out the advantages of
> an ad-hoc setup to an infrastructure setup.
>
> I plan to use a proxy between my wireless clients and
> the internet outside.I need to put a lot of code in my
> proxy to manage my network(part of my research
> work).so i assume i can't use  normal Access point
> hardware(correct me if i am wrong as i beleive i cant
> put too much code in a vendor's access point.or can
> i?).So i figured i needed a desktop or laptop to act
> as my proxy.
>
> if this proxy in ad-hoc mode,acts as a gateway to my
> wireless clients ,how different would it be compared
> to using this proxy in infrastructure mode(Host-AP
> mode), considering the fact that all i need the proxy
> to do is act as a gateway?
> Can anyone tell me in terms of performance.

If you are only ever sending packets to/from the gateway to
the wireless clients then there will not be much difference in
performance between ad-hoc and infrastructure mode.

On the other hand, if the clients are communicating with each
other, ad-hoc mode is better. This is because, in infrastructure
mode all traffic has to go via the AP. So if node1 wants to
talk with node2, the packets go node1->AP, AP->node2. In ad-hoc
mode, the nodes communicate with each other directly.

I don't think that having the AP changes any of the contention
mechanisms.

An advantage to having your system in in infrastructure mode, is that
you can play with the contents of the beacon. This may or may not be
useful.

> Thanks in Advance,
> Vinod

Duncan