Date:      	Fri, 29 Dec 1995 17:34:41 -0500
From:      Brian S Wasserman <wasserma@crayola.cse.psu.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compaq Presario will not boot with boot.flp

I have a the computer mentioned above.
RAWRITE works fine for me since I have used it many times in the past
without any difficulty.  I am positive that the disk I am writing to
has no defects.  My boot disk was not created in a multitasking

environment, so there is no problem caused by preemption.

My hardware setup is as follow:
486DX2-66, 8 megs RAM
ISA Bus
2x SCSI CD-ROM
525 meg IDE, 1.6 gig EIDE drives
--> 525 meg is connected to the IDE controller built into the motherboard
--> 1.6 gig is on an EIDE controller which works perfectly in DOS and W95
    (controller is from SIIG, Inc.)
HP/Colorado T1000 tape backup drive - connected to the floppy controller
SB compatible 16-bit sound card
1.44 meg floppy drive

I know that FBSD 1.x has problems with Compaq computers, but the
documentation says it is fixed in later versions.
NetBSD 1.x will boot fine.  FBSD 2.05 and 2.1 are the two which will not
work.  I want to get FBSD 2.1 up and running.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anybody has experienced this problem or has installed FBSD 2.1 on a
Compaq then I would love to hear from you... what did you do different than
the README and FAQ files instruct?

Thank you,
Brian