Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 20:00:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@free.fr>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: USB "Memorybird" quirks

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Josef Karthauser wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 03:52:26PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > >
> > > IIRC this problem is being addressed at a more fundamental level on
> > > -current, by adding a 6-byte-to-10-byte READ command translator
> > > somewhere in the abstraction layer.
> >
> > Could this be "auto-quirked"?
> >

> As in, try a 6 byte command, and if that fails try a 10 byte command
> instead?
>
> Unfortunately although I'm maintaining USB in -current, I don't have a
> complete in depth understanding of the code yet. :(  I'm mainly trying
> to fix my problems by taking from NetBSD.

A couple of READ/WRITE 6 byte commands are still mandatory for SCSI block
devices in order to accomodate softwares as boot software for example that
may not be upgradable on systems still in use. Softwares that are
maintained should no longer use 6 byte commands, but use the 10 byte
commands replacement (for years...).

So, unless we want to accomodate applications that still may send 6 byte
commands through passthrough driver, no translator should be needed. Just
make class drivers use 10 byte commands instead.

I donnot know about USB in details. But since USB is a recent technology
USB devices should not be required to support READ/WRITE 6 byte commands.

OTOH, using 6 byte READ/WRITE commands is very restrictive if we ever want
to implemement kind of trustable disk write caching support since they do
not allow to selectively force media access (this is achieved by the FUA
bit in >=3D 10 byte READ/WRITE command).

As a result, no device should be quirked nowadays as failing READ/WRITE 6
byte commands. Just maintained softwares should get rid of those commands
asap.

  G=E9rard.