Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 07:23:56 -0700
From:      Darren Wiebe <dkwiebe@heartland.ab.ca>
Cc:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>, freeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eq of Freebsdcon in Australia??

Greg Lehey wrote:

> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
>
> On Tuesday, 16 November 1999 at  8:15:50 -0800, Duke Normandin wrote:
> > Hi...

> >> You're not the only one, but there probably isn't critical mass.
> >> The AUUG conference in Melbourne last September drew about 120
> >> people; the FreeBSDCon in Berkeley drew 330.  I'd guess that a
> >> FreeBSDCon in Australia would get about 40 attendees.  Is that
> >> worth it?
> >
> > What, IYHO, needs to happen (to FBSD or its PR) to turn this
> > unfortunate reality around?
>
> Well, I suppose the first thing to do is to decide whether it's an
> unfortunate reality.  The logical next step would be to join some
> larger organization, such as the AUUG, and go to some of their
> functions.
>
> > Is there something that a wannabe newbie like me can do to help
> > promote FBSD? What about UGs?
>
> There are user groups.  See http://www.FreeBSD.org/support.
>
> > Is there a pre-defined format/structure/methology for creating same?
>
> No.
>
> > Should they/are they independent of fbsd.org?
>
> To a certain extent.
>
> > I don't believe that FBSD has much exposure here in my bailiwick -
> > Calgary-Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Both cities have a unix users group don't they??  That would probably be
the first place to start.

> That sounds like OpenBSD territory to me.  In your situation, I'd
> certainly find out what the local OpenBSD people are doing.  And I
> might reconsider joining the AUUG :-)

I happen to be in Stettler, Alberta, half way between Calgary and
Edmonton.  The only other person in town that really knows much about
unix IMHO runs BSDI.  I am trying to convert him, but BSDI is still much
better IMHO than linux. :)

> > As the hub of the Canadian oilpatch, I can't see why FBSD could not
> > _become_ attractive to the numerous Network Admins in these head
> > offices. They need stability but have no time and/or inclination to
> > be messing around. I may not know FBSD, but I sure wouldn't mind
> > doing some leg-work for the cause.
>
> Basically, the world's your oyster.  Well, maybe start with Alberta.
> As I say, check out the OpenBSD population.  You could start a BSD
> group: a number of the user groups aren't limited to FreeBSD.

I agree that there could be a lot of opportunities for FreeBSD in the
oilpatch, but I do not have any connections.  One of the things that
stand in the way is people like our local computer shop.  They try to
sell me MS proxy server once in a while.  It gets very frustrating...