Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:06:11 -0500
From:      Rich Neswold <rneswold@enteract.com>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@northwestern.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wmnet port doesn't display tunneling device

Wasn't it 11-Jul-2000, at 06:52PM, when David J. Kanter said:
> After upgrading from FreeBSD 3.5 -> 4.0, my wmnet no longer works
> consistently or properly. It does not consistently display tun0, and the
> device display name is off.
>
> In my kernel config I have pseudo-device tun, but wmnet -i tun0 will only
> display ppp0. Cycling through sometimes eventually reveals a tun0, other
> times no tun0 is available.
>
> I uninstalled, then reinstalled the port and it worked OK. But then I
> logged out and logged back in and it did not work.
>
> Also, if you cycle through the devices with the mouse and get to one of
> those longer devices, like faith, the "0" from faith0 remains in the LED
> section when cycling through the devices again.

When I ported the app (and rewrote the interface stuff), I was using 2.2.8.
I know some things changed in 3.X -- although not enough to break the app.
I'll look into the 4.0 internals to see if it has deviated further.

I use wmnet all the time with no problems. But I haven't monitored the
tunnel device in a while and my network card name is short enough, so I
didn't catch the overrun.

Thanks for the problem reports!

--
 Rich Neswold