Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:34:15 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation, gethostid()

As Michael Smith wrote:

>  A linux application calls gethostid() in the Linux C library.  _This_
>  funtion then makes the SIOmumbleHWADDR ioctl call to get the ether
>  hardware address.

Ick.  I thought they've got a `gethostid()' syscall for this, like
almost any other Unix has.

>  The kernel 'hostid' variable is too short for the ether address, and the
>  ether address _is_ visible inside the kernel (if one exists).

No such thing like `the' ethernet address.  By all means, make it
configurable from outside, don't try to grab a particular value inside
the kernel.  Otherwise, if the user re-arranges his ethernet cards
etc., he's at a loss.

Even an ugly `gdb -k -w' trick would be better.

> Soren seems to have decided to preempt me again, so I'll just wait and
> see 8)

So my comments hold valid for him as well. :^)

--
cheers, J"org