Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 13:15:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu (Sujal Patel)
Cc:        janus@freegate.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Plug and Play naivety

> > 1. mail from Sujal notes that "if your motherboard supports PnP
> > devices, then you don't need this code". What does this mean?
> > I've been told that the BIOS on the machine I'm using has
> > "Plug and Play" support ... does this mean it's possible that the
> > BIOS has queried the ISA devices on boot and already has all the
> > config info? Can I get at this somehow from the kernel? Or is this
> > only referring to PCI kind of Plug and Play?
>
> The PnP-aware BIOS will configure all ISA PnP cards (to the best of it's
> ability) during the boot up cycle.  If the BIOS gets this wrong (which it
> often does), you'll need to either use the PnP driver or turn if PnP (if
> the device supports that option).

This exchange implies that the kernel will not use the PnP information
in the presence of a PnP BIOS to configure the drivers.  Can you confirm
or deny this?

The benefit of the PnP code is not simply configuration of devices in
the absence of a PnP BIOS, but also in the provision of hints to the
device drivers.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---