Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:46:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, cjclark@home.com
Subject:   Re: NIS

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai writes:
 > On 22-Feb-99 John Kenagy wrote:
 > > Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai writes:
 > >  > On 21-Feb-99 Crist J. Clark wrote:
 > >  > > Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote,
 > >  > >>
 > >  > >> On 21-Feb-99 Crist J. Clark wrote:
 > >  > >> > Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote,
 > >  > >> >> On 20-Feb-99 Crist J. Clark wrote:
 > >  > >
 > >  > > If you want to try to get rpc.yppasswdd running, you can just type
 > >  > > 'rpc.yppasswdd <flags>' at the command line as root. No need to
 > >  > > reboot everytime.
 > >  >
 > >  > I know, I tried that and it appeared to work ok, but when trying to
 > >  > ypbind it appeared _not_ to work. That was before I added the server to
 > >  > ypservers
 > >  >
 > >  > I just tried it with localhost in ypservers, made the maps, and it
 > >  > still hangs at boot up but it does work on the command line now though.
 >
 > Well it works now, changed the ypservers entry to the hostname.

Good! Progress is a good thing...

 > Still took long on bootup though...

Well, One of my machines is an old 386 and I wouldn't know if it was
slow or not. HeHe...

 > > rpc.ypxfrd _is_ running on my server. I do not recall specifically
 > > going about setting _that_ up when I started to do this, though.
 > > A HA! A quick check of /etc/rc shows it starting there if it's flag is
 > > not "NO". Now going back to the system configuration file shows _no_
 > > entry for ypxfrd so it will never be "NO". I'm not sure if I deleted
 > > that line or what.;-)
 >
 > ypxfrd is _not_ necessary for a master server. Trust me on this one as I
 > tested it =)

Well, since I didn't really have a slave server running but thought of
trying it out I left well enough alone. Thanks for letting me
know. It's one less process!

 > > I noticed that you were not running the server as a client to
 > > itself. I do that as well. I do not really understand all of the ins
 > > and outs for that but Hal Stern's book seems to say that it is
 > > desireable so as to handle possible mail problems.
 >
 > I wanted to get ypserv and rpc.yppasswdd running first, then start ypbind.
 >
 > Now to find exactly where it hang and where it continued.

Let me know how this comes out. I've been trying out a few things and
collecting stuff from the list here so that I can do a rewrite of the
tutorial I put up. I actually know a little bit now.;-) (enough to be
dangerous)

John