Date:      Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:59:59 +0000
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        iberiozko@infodom.ru, jon@witchspace.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Curious crash

> Aha, I've experienced it on a Matrox Millenium.

I just heard from someone who has seen it under windows too - though it was
fixed by a driver update. I have been uusing these cards under OpenStep
for years thoygh, and have never come across this before.

> Was VESA support compiled into the kernel?  I've written a screensaver
> module which crashes on the Matrox Millenium when I try and run in
> 800x600x8, I wonder if there's something odd with the Millenium
> VESA support?

No, VESA support wasnt compiled in. It seems that these cards are very
sensetive to their device drivers - so maybe FreeBSD is doing something
valid-but-unusual which tickles a bug in it that doesnt get hit by other
operating systems ?

Its frustrating that its so hard to reproduce too as it makes the chances of
fixng it very slim indeed. Sigh.

-pcf.