Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:01:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        Patrick Burm <patb@commlitho.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: history files - where stored?

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Patrick Burm wrote:

[..]
> So I deleted my bash history file and logged off. When I logged
> back on the history 'reappears' in all its glory. So what I'm
> wondering...is where else is it "stored" so I can look there for
> command like rsh and such that a "hacker" might try to use.

No, the history is only stored in .bash_history (obviously, if the shell
is bash; other shells have different names for the history file).
The fact that the history "reappears" depends on some shell variables that
you can easily understand if you RTFM bash(1).

Marco Molteni
Computer Science student at the Universita' di Milano, Italy.
"This snakeskin jacket symbolizes my individuality and belief in personal
 freedom".