Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:34:07 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        Jesper Wallin <jesper@hackunite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default permissions of /home/user..

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Jesper Wallin wrote:

> Hello..
>
> I've asked this question before without getting any further help really..
> When a new user is added using "adduser" on 5.x (havn't really checked
> if it's the same under 4.x or not), the default homedir permission is 755
> (drwxr-xr-x) which to me, looks a bit insecure? It's of course pretty easy
> to solve it by a simple chmod, but yet, isn't there anyway to change the
> default chmod value? Last time I asked about this, people told me to check
> out the skel directory, but the only thing you can do in there is to change the
> default chmod value of the files/directories _in_ the homedir, not the chmod
> values of the actually homedir.. I would be glad if someone could give me
> further assistanse how do solve this without manually modifying the "adduser"
> script.. and if it this option doesn't exist, shouldn't it be added or is it just
> me who want my homedir secure from other users? ;)

By default, anyone can read a user's home directory, but because normally
noone is in the user's default group except the user themselves, noone
else can write to it.

If a user wants to restrict access to their entire home directory, they
can chmod their own home directory, but this is not really recommended.
It's better that they should make a restricted sub-directory for any
restricted content.  That way they can create directories inside their
home directory with permissions such that they allow collaboration with
whichever group is appropriate.

Andrew McNaughton

--

No added Sugar.  Not tested on animals.  May contain traces of Nuts.  If
irritation occurs, discontinue use.

Andrew McNaughton           Living in a shack in Tasmania
andrew@scoop.co.nz          Between the bush and the sea

Mobile: +61 422 753 792     http://staff.scoop.co.nz/andrew/cv.doc
                             http://www.scoop.co.nz/